IC Fire Station #4 LEED Gold
Iowa City Fire Station #4
This striking and sustainable Iowa City structure has earned a Gold Certification through the United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.
Fire Station #4 employed various strategies to its site, material selection, air quality, water usage and energy efficiency to meet the rigorous standards for LEED Gold.
FIRE STATION #4 ENVIRONMENTAL FEATURES:
- Geothermal and high efficiency HAVC system.
- Over 50% energy cost savings compared to baseline building performance. Over 50% of the buildings material value is regionally harvested, extracted and manufactured.
- Preserved over 75% of the project site open space.
- Bio-swales and landscaping featuring native and drought resistant species; aiding in storm water management and requiring no irrigation.
- Over 85% of construction waste diverted from landfills.
- A reduction of heat island effect over 99% of the project site.
- 40% or greater of the buildings material value come from recycled content.
- Day lighting for over 85% of regularly occupied space.
- Access to views for over 90% of regularly occupied space.